Get to know us
Access, excellence, quality and family. These are the words that come to mind when our associates and patients think of the work we do at Urban Health Plan.
Founded in 1974
Licensed by the State of New York and accredited by the Joint Commission.
Member of the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) and the Community Health Care Association of New York State (CHCANYS)
A network of federally qualified community health centers located in the South Bronx and in Corona, Queens consisting of nine sites, nine school-based health centers and three administrative and program sites.
Services: primary care, specialty, diagnostic, ancillary and support services to more than 70,000 registered patients through more than 350,000 visits (use 2015 numbers).
More than 800 associates work at our health centers, many of whom reside in the communities we serve.
Our health improvement initiatives including a nationally acclaimed asthma management program, programs for diabetes management, geriatrics, nutrition, HIV/AIDS care, and mental health services.
One of the first community health centers in New York to use electronic medical records
Currently using iris recognition technology to identify patients.
Accomplishments and recognitions:
- The National Exemplary Award from the United States Environmental Protection Agency in 2006 for efforts to reduce asthma rates in the Hunts Point community in the Bronx.
- The Nicholas E. Davies Award for Excellence from the Health Information Management Systems Society for excellence in the use of electronic health records.
- Level 3 recognition as a Physician Practice Connections – Patient-Centered Medical Home (PPC-PCMH) from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). Level 3 recognition is the highest awarded by the NCQA.
UHP is affiliated with the following hospitals:
Bronx Lebanon Hospital
- Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Elmhurst Hospital Center
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System-Forest Hills Hospital